The beginnings of a museum in Demmin date back to 1914. In 1923 exhibition rooms could be presented to the public. In 1925 it was decided that the collections and the management of the museum would be transferred to the Demmin district. In the 1990s, the museum and its collection moved to the location on the banks of the Hanseatic League.
The museum in Demmin was closed down in 2015. The exhibits were cleared and stored. Since then the Demmin Museum has been closed. The efforts to re-establish a museum in Demmin have so far been fruitless. The Garrison Association proposed to publish pieces from the fund despite the museum’s closure. The aim was to hold consultations with employees of the district.
In 2017, a contract was concluded between the Garrison Association Demmin “9. Ulanen” e.V. and the district of “Mecklenburgische Seenplatte” as owners of the museum collections in Demmin for the digitisation of the fundus.
The inventory and the production of the Internet operational readiness level were carried out in honorary activity by members of the garrison association Demmin 9. Ulanen registered association. The emphasis was put on the pieces with a Demmin reference. The editions of the Demminer Tageblatt were also digitized. For the work the association has a period from 2018 to 2020.
The database was used to create a website entitled “Demminer Heimatgeschichte”, which will be expanded over the next few years.
We would like to express our special thanks to the employees of the Mecklenburg Lake District for their support and the trust placed in us by the owner of the fund. We would also like to thank the sponsors who contributed to the technical equipment of the project with their donations.
Special thanks go to the members of the association, who helped in an honorary capacity in the process of digitizing the museum’s collection.
In 2021 the Demminer Heimatverein e.V. took over the website, since then the website is jointly maintained by both associations.